Say Anything has become a popular party game and we even recommend it as an alternative to Cards Against Humanity. According to North Star Games, the game’s manufacturer, “Say Anything is about you. You get to decide how witty, weird, or wild you want to be.”
Let’s explore a bit about the game…
In this review, we’ll cover:
- Say Anything Game Summary,
- Editions of Say Anything,
- Gameplay Rules,
- Questions from the Say Anything Game, and
- The Game Guru’s Review.
Say Anything Game Features
Gameplay is similar to the overwhelmingly popular Cards Against Humanity, but instead of getting to hide behind an answer card, players must own up to their answers! The more creative, outrageous, and opinionated answers to choose from, the better in a game where you can, quite literally, say anything!
Unlike Cards Against Humanity, the self-proclaimed “party game for horrible people,” Say Anything can be as nice or naughty as you want it to be. That means you can keep answers “G-rated” if you’re playing with the kids or Grandma, but you can still break it out for an adult-only game night with your friends and make your answers as raunchy as you want (especially if the alcohol is flowing).
Ages: 13+, Players: 4-8
Contents: 80 question cards, 8 dry-erase pens, 8 dry-erase boards, 1 Select-O-Matic 5000, 16 player tokens, 1 dry-erase score board, 1 full color rules
In addition to the original version of Say Anything (pink box), there are two other versions out there.
The Family Edition is a game that kids and parents enjoy playing together during family game nights. This edition features 180 questions that will get everyone chatting and giggling in no time.
Contents: 60 Question Cards, 6 Dry Erase Pens, 6 Dry Erase Boards, 1 Select-O-Matic 6000, 12 Player Tokens, 1 Dry-erase Score Board, 1 Full Color Rules
Ages: 8+, Players: 3-6
- What celebrity would make the worst babysitter?
- What would make long car rides more fun?
- Where’s the best place to have a birthday party?
10th Anniversary Edition
Contents: 80 Question Cards, 8 Dry Erase Pens with Erasers, 8 Dry Erase Answer Boards, 16 Tokens, 1 Dry Erase Scoreboard, 1 Full Color Rules
Ages: 13+, Players: 4-8
Sample Questions: See Say Anything Game Questions.
The object of the game is to get the most points in twelve rounds. Use your dry erase score board to keep track of points. Of course, you can just play for fun too and not worry about keeping score!
- Have one player draw a card and pick from one of the five options. For instance, the card may say, “In my opinion, which store is the most fun to shop in?”
- All the other players write down an answer on their dry board based on what they think the person reading the card would say (or find funny!). They place their answers face up in the middle of table as quickly as possible! Duplicate answers are not allowed. The first of the duplicate answer stays–the other player must write a different answer, so being fast is crucial!
- Using the Select-O-Matic 5000 (the color wheel), the reader chooses the answer he/she likes the most, then places it face down on the table, locking the decision in.
- The other players, using their two betting chips, choose which answer they think the reader chose. They can put both chips on their own answer, both chips on someone else’s answer, or spread them across two answers.
- Once everyone has bet, the reader reveals which answer he/she chose and points are calculated.
- The player that wrote the chosen answer gets 1 point.
- The reader receives one point per bet chip on his/her answer, up to a maximum of 3 points.
- Players receive one point per correct bet, up to a maximum of 3 points.
- No player can receive more than 3 points per round.
Say Anything contains 80 question cards. Each card contains 5 questions, so really there are 400 questions. Sample questions (from the classic version) include:
In my opinion…
- What would e the coolest thing to have at a mansion?
- If I could have a “BIG” anything, what would it be?
- Who is the most overrated band on of all time?
- What’s the worst thing to say to a cop after getting pulled over?
- Who’s the most annoying celebrity in show business?
- What would be the best city to live in?
- What TV show is the guiltiest pleasure?
- What song is most likely to pack a dance floor?
- What’s the most boring book of all time?
- What can you say to your dog that you shouldn’t say to your spouse?
As you can see from some of the sample questions, this game can be as clean or as dirty as you and your friends make it–so make sure you keep that in mind when selecting people to play with you!
Game Guru says: Say Anything is a good party game but ONLY with the right group. Unlike games like Apples to Apples and Cards Against Humanity, your answers are restricted only by your imagination. That means this game came be as nice or as naughty as your group of friends are. With that being said, if your friends are boring, this game will be boring! Overall, Say Anything has the potential to be even more outrageously inappropriate and hilarious than Cards against Humanity since your answers aren’t restricted, but ONLY if your friends are as creative and dark witted as you are!
We hope the Game Night Guru gave you the answers you seek regarding Say Anything. If you’re looking for other games similar to this one to try, check out our article called Games Likes Cards Against Humanity!